I've conspired to create and enjoy pizza from the remote mountains and rivers of the Alaskan Wilderness to the famed streets and kitchens of New York City. All across this land of ours, I love celebrating pizza. Here I am, in front of Sally's in New Haven, Connecticut.
Circular, square, rectangular, or triangular—thick or thin—pizza is more about the magic than a limiting set of rules. Its creative! And that is one of my favorite things about pizza.
This week we are going to post a few things about pizza—hoping to inspire you to make some yourself. Think of this as sort of a build up to Saturday Night.
Here are some Pizza Fun facts.
- Each day Americans eat 100 acres of pizza or 350 slices per second
- Around the world, over 5 billion pizzas are sold each year
- Super Bowl Sunday is the biggest day for pizza sales in the US
- Our favorite crust? Sourdough, made right in our Hummingbird test kitchen with home-grown sourdough starter and our Unbleached High-Gluten White Flour
- When do we eat pizza? Saturday night is the most popular night of the week for pizza
- Cornicione is the technical term for the outer edge of a pizza’s crust